Architect
Kaija and Heikki Siren
Competition
1952
Completion
1954
Renovation
2015
Category
Assembly buildings Educational buildings
Tags
competition concert concrete culture education Modernism

Lahti Concert Hall was built for the main venue of the Lahti City Orchestra and the Viipuri Music Institute (now Lahti Conservatory). After the Sibelius Hall was completed, the Lahti Conservatory has been the main user of the building. The building was refurbished in 2014.

The concert hall was a privately initiated project in the post-war years. Eventually, the funding of the development was arranged by the Viipuri Music Institute that had been reorganised in Lahti after the 1940 Moscow Peace Treaty cession of territory. The invited architecture competition was arranged in 1952 and the three offices invited were all acquaintances of the leaders of the concert hall development. Heikki Siren’s proposal was chosen for implementation. Kaija and Heikki Siren developed the plan throughout the construction project, and the final drawings are dated as late as in the autumn of 1954.

The concert hall was one of the first modern concert halls in Finland together with the Turku Concert Hall, completed in 1952.

Location

Sibeliuksenkatu 8, Helsinki
60.9829823, 25.6496875

Images

Main stage, Lahti Concert Hall
Main stage, Lahti Concert Hall (© Siren Architects)
View from the northwest, Lahti Concert Hall
View from the northwest, Lahti Concert Hall (© Siren Architects)
Main stage, Lahti Concert Hall
Main stage, Lahti Concert Hall (© Siren Architects)
Staircase, Lahti Concert Hall
Staircase, Lahti Concert Hall (© Siren Architects)