Alvar Aalto received the assignment to develop the University of Technology (nowadays Aalto University) student housing as a part of the comprehensive plan for Otaniemi campus in 1950. He drew up several plans but only one of his plans was realised.
In 1962–65 Aalto designed the student dormitory TKY 2. It consists of two red-brick wings joined to form a V figure. At the juncture is a one-storey entrance hall with glazed facade and barrel skylights. One of the wings has five storeys and a serpentine facade reminiscent of the MIT dormitory. The other wing has only three storeys. The buildings contain a total of some 200 rooms grouped to provide one kitchen per between seven and eleven rooms.