Kruununhaka is one of the oldest districts of Helsinki. The area was mainly built in the 19th century but many plots with wooden houses were renewed at the beginning of the 20th century. The Semigradsky School for small children is one of the finest examples of the art nouveau architecture in the Kruununhaka district. It was designed by architects Emil Fabritius and Valter Jung. The school building was completed in 1905.
The Semigradsky School is situated in the corner of Oikokatu, surrounded by colourful art nouveau block of flats. The tower-like shape in the main façade gives a distinctive style to the building. The building has three floors. The ground floor has a grey granite façade, and the two upper floors have yellow painted plaster façade.
The building was the district school of the Finnish speaking first and second graders until the renovation at the end of the 1970s. Since 1980 it has housed the primary school of the Swedish speaking children of the Kruununhaka district.
The art nouveau buildings of the area are located especially to Oikokatu and Liisankatu. In Oikokatu, near the school building, you can find art nouveau block of flats.
Source: Art Nouveau in Helsinki – Architectural guide (Helsinki City Museum)