The building was designed for pharmacist Åke Schoultz as both a pharmacy and a residence. The white rendered building consists of two parts, the two-storey residence and the single-storey pharmacy wing. On the ground floor of the residence, to the west of the brick-floored entrance hall, is a more formal space comprised of the living room and dining room, with the kitchen, service room and pantry in the north-eastern corner. The living room opens towards southwest through large windows in the corner.
Upstairs there are two large bedrooms devided by a closet wall and accessed from a lobby. The servant’s room is in the northeast corner, opposite to which is the guest room and a bathroom. The master’s study is positioned between the pharmacy wing and the residence.
The pharmacy comprises a shop, a laboratory, a supply room and a duty room which includes a bed. The large windows, typical of Bryggman, consist of several panes, and the façade composition is characterised by asymmetries.
Looking at the main façade, it appears as if the building’s roofs are flat, but from the side of Viljontie street one perceives that actually they are mono-pitched roofs. The pharmacy wing is clearly delineated as a separate entity in the main façade.
The building continues seving as a private residence. In its immediate proximity there is the Sauvo medieval church dating from 1472 as well as the Aitta co-operative shop (1933) designed by architect Erkki Huttunen.
Text: Mikko Laaksonen