Police Station & Fire Department
Satakunta Museum is located on the border of “Kivi-Pori”, the district of brick and stone buildings from the 19th century and early 20th century in the Pori city centre. The museum’s raw Brutalist-style concrete façades form a strict contrast to the surrounding revival style buildings.
Satakunta Museum represents the typical museum architecture of the time; the functions define the brief and the overall design of the building. The permanent exhibition is situated on all three floors of the building. The monumental staircase joins the three floors in the middle of the exhibition hall. On the second floor are the main entrance, the entrance hall, the temporary exhibition spaces, the museum cafe and offices of the museum staff. On the ground floor are situated conservation spaces, storage space and offices.
The museum building was designed by architects Olaf Küttner and Reijo Louhimo from Olaf Küttner Architects. Küttner was the city architect of Pori from 1951 until his sudden death in 1974. Finlands Museum Association supervised the development of the building. The construction began in October 1971, and the museum opened its doors on “Pori day”, September 29th, 1973.
Source: Satakunta Museum