The chapel is situated on a small hill in the Ristikangas cemetery, which was established in 1932. In front of the chapel, in the main approach direction there is a colonnaded canopy giving shelter to the entrance – like in many of Bryggman’s chapels. In Ristikangas, there is another, smaller colonnade on the north side with square pillars, marking the route for escorting the coffin to the graveyard. The gable ends are in calcium-silicate brick, with some relief in the brickwork. The foundation plinth and part of the walls are covered with rubble schist. The roof of the chapel is clad in sheet metal.
The interior space extends all the way to the roof, with a ceiling built of low vaults and given a textured plaster finish. The chandeliers in the nave and the three-pronged light fixtures in the vestibule are impressive. The pews face forward towards the altar in a traditional way but with a view to the outside via the large windows on the south side. Light falls onto the altar from three vertical skylights. The organ balcony has a wooden railing and receives light from three narrow windows in the gable wall.
Bryggman died before the design work was finished and it was completed by Olli Kestilä. In 1960 the entrance gable received a bronze relief by sculptor Wäinö Aaltonen called Seppelöidyt äidit [Garlanded Mothers]. The chapel has not been renovated and the original fittings and furniture have been largely preserved. The organ, too, seems to be original.
Text: Mikko Laaksonen