The design brief for the Riihimäki water tower was ambitious and included museum facilities and a panorama café. The planning permission drawings were signed on January 20, 1951, and the final inspection of the completed building was already on August 28, 1952.
The 30,65-metre tall water tower was placed on the highest ridge of the town of Riihimäki. The two lower storeys with large windows were intended for museum use, but instead the State College for Handicraft Teachers [Valtion Askarteluohjaajaopisto] was housed there. The entrance is emphasised by a canopy and clad with schist slabs, which were also used for the terrace.
An intermediate floor with square windows separated the lower floors from the 856-cubic-metre water storage. The main façade material is yellow brick with white-rendered pilasters demarcating the load-bearing concrete structure. The water storage section is marked by small windows placed in regular groupings, resembling water bubbles. The stairwell walls were built entirely in glass, “With the view in mind”, as stated Bryggman. On top of everything, sheltered by a canopy, there is the panorama café.
The water tower is the landmark of Riihimäki Sports Park, which was designed in 1950–56 by Yrjö Lindegren and Aulis Blomstedt. The swimming hall, designed by Osmo Lappo and Jussi Suomala, was completed in 1979. The water tower was renovated in 1994.
Text: Mikko Laaksonen
Source: Arkkitehti 12/1953