Turku City Theatre
Pori Commercial School is an excellent example of educational architecture of the 1950s. Architects Aarne Hytönen and Risto-Veikko Luukkonen designed the building. Together they designed many well-known public buildings starting from Helsinki Expo Hall (Töölö Sports Hall), completed in 1935. Pori Commercial School was one of their last joined works. The construction of the commercial school was completed in 1959.
The building is situated on a corner plot of the crossing streets Luvianpuistokatu and Äejästäjänkatu in the city centre of Pori. The building mass forms a sheltered courtyard to the plot. The classrooms are situated on four floors in the main building mass on the side of Äestäjänkatu. The flabellate hall building is joined to the main building by a hallway and the main entrance on the side of Luvianpuistokatu. Yellow brick and light grey painted plaster are the dominant materials of the façades.
The Board of Pori Commercial School got permission to start planning the development of a new school building in 1954. The city architect Olaf Küttner was one of the board members. In 1957 Helsinki based office A. Hytönen & R-V Luukkonen Architects were chosen to realise the project and the construction began in the same year. The commercial school began to operate in the building in April 1959. The extension, designed by architect Markku Haaslahti from Küttner Architects, was constructed to Äestäjänkatu side of the plot in 1990–1991. The renovation was made in 2004.
Source: Satakunta Museum