Espoo Funerary Chapel
Orivesi Church is based on the winning entry ’Kaarikirkko’ (Arch Church) by Kaija and Heikki Siren in an invited architecture competition arranged in 1958. The old wooden church from the late 18th century had been destroyed in an arson that same year. Only the bell tower survived the arson. The new church was built in 1960–1961 and its consecration was arranged on 13 August 1961.
The five arch-like double brick walls form the frame of the building. Above the brick-arches are situated the lanterns that give natural light to the interior. Parish hall can be joint to the assembly hall with sliding doors.
Kaija and Heikki Siren were assisted by Matti Hakala, Osmo Mikkonen, Hirvo Tyynilä and interior designer Lars Gestranius. The wooden altarpiece is by Kain Tapper, the chalice by Bertel Gardberg and church textiles by Dora Jung. The original upholstery of the benches was by Marjatta Metsovaara.
Source: Finnish Architectural Review 5/1962