Mikael Agricola Church in the Southern Helsinki Punavuori district was built in the early 1930s based on an architecture competition. The winning entry was designed by architect Lars Sonck. He was assisted by architect Arvo Muroma. The construction was completed in 1935.
The red-brick church is situated in the middle of the Tehtaanpuisto park. It has references to Nordic Classicism, Functionalism and even Art Nouveau style. The architecture can be seen as a fusion of Sonck’s career throughout stylistic changes.
The pointed tower with Art Nouveau decorations is a landmark of the area and even from the sea and towers 97 metres high. During the Winter War and Continuation War the point was taken down because of the air raids. Imposing stairs lead from the street space of Tehtaankatu to the main entrance.
The altarpiece and painting on the arches of the assembly hall are by Bruno Tuukkanen. Arvi Muroma designed the brass chandeliers. The original church textiles are by Dora Jung, Greta Skogster-Lehtinen and later Päikki Priha designed additions to them. Gunilla Jung designed the chalice.
The church has a three-storey wing for the parish administrative office and parsonage. It represents more typically Nordic Classicism with its symmetrical elevation and grid windows. In between the church and its wing is formed a sheltered courtyard.