The commission for the design of the school was awarded to Bryggman after winning an invited architectural competition.
Most of the façades are in yellow textured render and white smooth render, and the foundation plinths are clad in schist. The façades of the south wing are yellow brick. To the north is a wing comprising a sports and assembly hall and a cafeteria. On the north wing gable there is a relief by Heikki Nieminen from 1955.
The main entrance is at the junction of the west classroom wing and the sports hall. It is emphasised by a canopy and a shallow and broad flight of stairs, and next to it there is an auditorium. In the west classroom wing most of the rooms are on the south side of the corridor notable for its exposed brick walls, while only the art classroom is on the north side. There is a swimming pool on the ground floor.
Connected to the end of the west wing is a separate volume with a clerestory roof and large windows, and it houses a classroom for technical work. In the single-storey south wing there are office rooms as well as some classrooms. Typical of Bryggman, the floors of the hallways are of brick and several rooms have pitched ceilings.
In 2005 an extension was built to the south wing by architects Pekka Mäki and Silja Törnström (Sigge Architects). The placement of the extension was already indicated in Bryggman’s plans and the materials are similar to the original.
Text: Mikko Laaksonen