Kultaranta was originally commissioned by the agriculturalist Alfred Kordelin. The 19-room summer house was designed by famed Art Nouveau architect Lars Sonck. The construction work started in 1914 and was completed in 1916. Alfred Kordelin only spent a few summers at Kultaranta before his sudden death. He left Kultaranta to the Finnish University of Turku Society, and in the 1920s it was acquired by the Finnish government following a Parliament decision to use the house as the President of the Republic’s summer residence.
Formal garden with a pavilion and basins with fountains are a focal part of the Kultaranta estate. Finnish grey granite is the main façade material of the two-storey building. The ground floor contains the reception rooms and private apartments. Upstairs are the bedrooms and guestrooms. Marble steps lead from the ground floor to the tower, from which there is a view of Naantali and the inshore islands.