Alajärvi Youth Association Building
Jyväskylä Workers’ Club, designed 1924 for the Jyväskylä workers’ association and erected the following year, marked Aino Marsio-Aalto and Alvar Aalto’s breakthrough. The largely windowless upper floor contained an auditorium used for political assemblies and as a theatre with stage, parterre, balconies, and foyer. These facilities were used by the workers’ theatre and later by the city theatre until 1982.
A monumental staircase led from the foyer down to the lower level, which was basically a glazed colonnade containing a restaurant, two café rooms, and the entrance hall to the theatre. Aino Marsio-Aalto and Alvar Aalto designed the furniture, light fixtures, and fittings specially. The restaurant spaces have later been fully remodeled.