Detmerode Church and Parish Centre
The planning competition for Jyväskylä Institute of Pedagogics was in 1951. Aalto won first prize with the entry ‘Urbs’, and was immediately commissioned to work out plans for the individual buildings on the basis of the winning entry. Construction began in 1953.
The extensive site on the grounds of the old teacher training college consists of a wide depression next to a pine-clad ridge near the centre of town. Aalto laid out a planted campus accessible only to pedestrians, with a sports field in the middle of the depression, leaving the late 19th-century college buildings higher up on the ridge.
Aalto’s buildings form a loose U pattern that begins on the north side of the campus with the main building, which is made up of a fan-shaped auditorium wing and a rectangular three-storey classroom and laboratory wing. The two sections are connected by a high hall containing an attractive Venetian staircase. The second and third storeys of the auditorium wing contain two adjacent auditoria separated by a sliding wall, which can be removed to make a large auditorium with 382 + 355 seats. The ground floor of the auditorium wing has generously glazed walls facing the entrance piazza and pine woods, making the vestibule a continuation of the forest. Interior work continued until spring 1959.
Along the entrance piazza are also the library building, and north-west of this the teacher training school from 1951-53. On the east side of the sports field is the teachers’ cafeteria in a small, separate pavilion connected with the students’ commons, which in turn connects with a dormitory building. On the west side of the sport field is the university’s indoor complex for gymnastics, sports and swimming.. The large Institute of Physical Education on the south side of the campus was built in 1969-71.