About

Category
Buildings for institutional care
Architect
Erik Bryggman
Selections
Erik Bryggman’s architecture
Design
1945
Completion
1953

The hospital was placed on a southward-facing, pine-forested slope next to Hietalahti bay on the Paalisenjärvi lake. The entrance at the south-eastern corner provided access to the patient wards and outpatient clinic, and the head nurse’s apartment was situated just above the entrance. The patient wards were placed in a wing running east-west and the outpatient clinic facilities were north of the entrance. The nurses’ three-storey-high dormitory was furthest to the west. In the south-western corner of the building complex there was a cafeteria and a service wing. Along the patient ward façade there is a long balcony with a view to the lake. The exterior walls have a rendered surface. Some of the wings have low pitched roofs and others mono-pitched roofs.

Later the hospital was considerably extended on the southeast side and thus the original entrance became covered. The building’s use as a hospital came to an end at the beginning of 2015.

Text: Mikko Laaksonen

Location

Sairaalantie, Mänttä-Vilppula
62.0109164, 24.6377899

Images

Façade towards the lake., Mänttä District Hospital
Façade towards the lake., Mänttä District Hospital (© Mikko Laaksonen / Bryggman Institute)
Doctors' residences., Mänttä District Hospital
Doctors' residences., Mänttä District Hospital (© Mikko Laaksonen / Bryggman Institute)

More projects by author