About

In 1925, the Aalto office designed Casa Laurén for Hjalmar Laurén, office manager of Kymin Uittoyhtiö. When completed, the building contained two large apartments and two small ones, plus a space intended as a shop in the basement.

Because of the housing shortage, the shop space was also in residential use from the very beginning. Stylistically, Casa Laurén is an example of Classicism, both in massing and decoration. Special features of the building include the ornamental steps to the loggia at the end and the carefree, irregular arrangement of the windows on the garden side.

The building was altered considerably after 1952, when ownership of the building was transferred to VAPO, the railway fuel company.

More information on Alvar Aalto Foundation website.

Location

Vapaudenkatu 12, Jyväskylä
62.2364934, 25.7395509

Images

The altered street facade, Casa Lauren
The altered street facade, Casa Lauren (© Maija Holma / Alvar Aalto Museum)
Garden side facade, Casa Lauren
Garden side facade, Casa Lauren (© Maija Holma / Alvar Aalto Museum)
Street facade, Casa Lauren
Street facade, Casa Lauren (© Päijänne / Alvar Aalto Museum)
Street facade, Casa Lauren
Street facade, Casa Lauren (© Aino Aalto / Alvar Aalto Museum)
Section and south facade, Casa Lauren
Section and south facade, Casa Lauren (© Alvar Aalto Museum)
Lobby, Casa Lauren
Lobby, Casa Lauren (© Alvar Aalto Museum)

More projects by authors