Architect
Kaija and Heikki Siren
Competition
1962
Completion
1973
Category
Assembly buildings
Tags
competition concert culture glass Modernism multipurpose steel

The Brucknerhaus Linz is based on the winning entry by Kaija and Heikki Siren Architects in an architecture competition arranged in 1962. The construction work began in 1969 and was completed in 1973. The inauguration took place on March 3 1974. The concert hall was named after Austrian composer Anton Bruckner (1824–1896).

The parklike site on the Danube river, covered with old trees, suggested the main lines of the planning: concentrated fan-shaped mass with a curved glass front on the Danube side offering the broadest possible views of the Danube and the mountains on the opposite side. The overall townscape thus acquired a needed focus point on the Danube, away from which the city centre had gradually shifted over the centuries.

Though the building was originally designed purely as a concert hall, it had to be adapted in the course of planning for film-showing purposes. These demands were, however, met without compromising over the suitability of the main hall for regular concert purposes. Structural and acoustical questions were also solved by allowing for the simultaneous use of the three halls and the adjacent foyer for various purposes.

The extremely careful acoustical planning was done by Finnish and Austrian experts. Even so, the series of ultrasonic tests carried out on a model in the sound technology laboratory of the Dresden University of Technology played the most important role in the acoustical planning of the hall.

The foundations of a building in the Danube flood area have to have a 1,5 metres thick reinforced concrete base slab. The bearing walls and roof constructions are reinforced concrete too. The frontages are of bronze-coloured aluminium. The floor of the entrance hall is white Austrian marble.

In the main hall, there are seats for 1420 people, in the medium-sized hall for 392 people and in the small hall for 150 people.

Kaija and Heikki Siren were assisted by Heikki Tegelmann, Osmo Mikkonen, Kalle-Heikki Narinen and Horst Helder.

Source: Finnish Architectural Review: 4/1974

Location

Untere Donaulände 7, 4010 Linz, Austria, Linz
48.3104346, 14.2930493

Images

View from the Danube, Brucknerhaus Linz
View from the Danube, Brucknerhaus Linz (© Wikimedia Commons)
Aerial view from the north, Brucknerhaus Linz
Aerial view from the north, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
View from the Danube, Brucknerhaus Linz
View from the Danube, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Park front, Brucknerhaus Linz
Park front, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Detail of the façade, Brucknerhaus Linz
Detail of the façade, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Main hall, Brucknerhaus Linz
Main hall, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Main hall, Brucknerhaus Linz
Main hall, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Site plan, Brucknerhaus Linz
Site plan, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Section plan, Brucknerhaus Linz
Section plan, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)
Entrance floor, hall floor, balcony floor, Brucknerhaus Linz
Entrance floor, hall floor, balcony floor, Brucknerhaus Linz (© MFA)

More projects by author

Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Espoo Funerary Chapel

  • Espoo
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Lahti Concert Hall

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

The Granite House

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Helsinki Federation of Parishes

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Helsinki Finnish Co-educational School SYK

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

The Siren House

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Lingånsö

  • Raseborg
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Kotka Co-operative Bank

  • Kotka
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Industry House

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Orivesi Church

  • Orivesi
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Saudi Arabia Embassy of Finland

  • Riyadh
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Baghdad Conference Palace

  • Baghdad
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Finnish National Theatre Small Stage

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Otaniemi Chapel

  • Espoo
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Kallio Municipal Office Building

  • Helsinki
Empty placeholder image
Bookmark

Circle House

  • Helsinki