German born architect Ernst Lohrmann was the head of the Office of the Intendant from 1841 to 1865 and head of National Board of Public Building from 1865 to 1867 after C.L. Engel. Lohrmann was born in 1803 in Westfalen. He studied first in Göttingen and then Berlin where he completed land surveying diploma in 1827. Lohrmann moved to Helsinki in 1841. As an architect, he mainly represented gothic revival.