Detmerode Church and Parish Centre
The building of the Alajärvi Youth Association was designed by Alvar Aalto in 1919, and built immediately in the same year. A clubhouse built of logs, it has vertical weatherboarding and hipped roof, giving the building something of the air of a castle.
The high roof was not, however an end in itself: it was motivated by the central assembly hall, which, has herring-bone strutting to provide sufficient height for a theatre stage along one wall and an orchestra balcony above a side room in the other wall.
The building is crowned by a lantern in noble ‘Caroline’ (late 17th century) style. The two symmetrical wings originally formed a cour d’honneur, but were later linked with a verandah-like entrance hall.
Source: Alvar Aalto Foundation